Most people know that Botox is a cosmetic procedure used to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. But what many people don’t know is that Botox can also be used for medical purposes, such as treating migraines, reducing muscle spasms, and even preventing excessive sweating.
Botox has been around since the early 1980s, and over the years it has become one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the world. In fact, more than 20 million Botox injections are performed each year.
But what happens after you get Botox? What should you do to make sure you get the best results? And how long does it last? Read on to find out.
What is Botox and What Does it Do?
Botox is a neurotoxin that is used to treat various medical conditions, including migraines, excessive sweating, and crossed eyes. Botox works by blocking the transmission of nerve impulses to the muscles, which leads to a decrease in muscle activity.
How Long Does Botox Last?
The effects of Botox usually last around three to four months. However, this varies from person to person and depends on how much Botox was injected, as well as which area(s) were treated.
To maintain the results of your treatment, it is recommended that you get follow-up injections every three to four months.
What Are the Side Effects of Botox?
The most common side effects of Botox are temporary and mild, such as bruising, swelling, and redness at the injection site. These side effects typically go away within a week or two.
How to Prepare for Your Botox Treatment
1. Make sure to avoid taking aspirin or ibuprofen for at least two weeks before your appointment, as these can thin your blood and increase the risk of bruising.
2. Avoid caffeine and alcohol for at least 24 hours before your appointment, as they can both dehydrate you and make you more prone to bruising.
3. If you’re taking any prescription medications, ask your injector if there are any restrictions on taking them before your appointment.
4. Arrive well-hydrated–drink plenty of water in the days leading up to your appointment.
5. If you typically get cold sores, take medication beforehand to prevent an outbreak.
6. Shave the treatment area(s) before coming in for your appointment.
7. Wear a loose-fitting shirt or blouse to your appointment so that the medical staff can easily access the treatment area(s).
What to Do After Your Botox Treatment
1. Drink plenty of fluids. It is important to drink plenty of fluids after your Botox treatment. This will help flush the toxins from your system and help you feel better.
2. Avoid drinking alcohol. Alcohol can further dehydrate you, which is the last thing you want after a Botox treatment.
3. Get plenty of rest. After a Botox treatment, it is important to get plenty of rest. This will help your body heal and recover from the treatment.
4. Avoid strenuous activity. Strenuous activity can increase swelling and bruising after a Botox treatment. It is best to avoid it for the first 24 hours after your treatment.
5. Follow up with your injector. Be sure to follow up with your injector after your Botox treatment. This will help ensure that the treatment was successful and that you are healing properly.
Why Choose Michelle Esthetics?
At Michelle Esthetics, we use the latest techniques and technology to ensure that you receive the best possible treatment. We also offer a variety of other esthetic services, so you can get everything you need in one place. Contact us today to schedule your appointment!